Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Take Two

So if you remember my post from a couple of months about our new dog we got for Christmas, you might have noticed I never mentioned what kind of breed she was. I purposely left that bit of info out because we had no idea. To make a long story short, 3 weeks ago we found out she was part PIT BULL. Although she was a wonderful dog from the moment we brought her home, and Pit Bulls can be great dogs(blah, blah, blah), we weren't willing to risk ANYTHING as far as our kids were concerned. So, after finding Copper a new home and realizing we still wanted a dog, the hours of research began to find a breed that would fit our family. I was nervous to get a big dog again for the kids safety, but soon came to find that all the small breeds we were interested in all said "not good with children." Then, Ben found an ad for a dog that is regarded as one of the best, most tolerant breeds with children and we didn't want to pass it up. So meet Barkley, our 8 week old purebred Great Dane! It may seem crazy, but we used to have a Lab/Great Dane mix before we had kids and she was the most beautiful, most amazing dog we've ever known and Ben's wanted another one ever since she was hit by a car:(

The day we brought her home

She's so sweet and calm

The couch is off limits but she's turned me into a softy

She's been incredibly patient with Samuel stepping, sitting, and crawling all over her.

So far she's proven to be perfect for us. Check back with me when she's full grown and I've got a horse in my backyard:)

6 comments:

Katie said...

She's so cute! Barkley is a great name too...

larshannon said...

She is a very pretty dog and as big as Katelyn!

Danielle said...

Wow look at how big she is already. You will definitely have a horse soon.

Brimaca said...

I think bigger dogs are usually better with kids. I've know many people who have great danes and kids. I think you'll like her!

Jaimie said...

She's so big! I hope she works out for you guys, dogs are a lot of fun :)

Lynie said...

The dog is darling! I miss you all. Happy belated birthday to Katelyn, I remember the day she was born so well, and getting to see her that evening. What a joy!
Love you
Auntie Lyn